Colonel Mike “3M” Moeding is Vice Commander of the 302d Airlift Wing, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado. He assists the commander in leading over 1,300 Air Force Reservists operating eight C-130H Hercules aircraft used globally for medium range airlift, tactical airland and airdrop, aeromedical evacuation, and Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System missions. His previous assignment was as the Joint Deputy Director, Directorate of Exercises and Assessments and Air Force Reserve Advisor to the Combatant Commander, Headquarters, United States European Command, Stuttgart, Germany where he became a level-III Joint Qualified Officer.
After commissioning through Air Force ROTC, Col Moeding was assigned to McConnell AFB, Kansas as a flying squadron Adjutant and Operations Management Officer. He later accepted a pilot position with the Air Force Reserve and went on to become a KC-135R Instructor and Evaluator Pilot. Col Moeding advanced rapidly through numerous leadership positions as a Company and Field Grade Officer culminating as a flying squadron Director of Operations. As a Lieutenant Colonel, he was selected to lead as an Operations Group Commander at Joint Base Andrews, Md. Prior to his current assignment, he served as a Joint Deputy Director at U.S. European Command, Stuttgart, Germany. He has led as an Operations Group Commander, deployed squadron commander, AFCAT Team Chief, Battle Staff Deputy Director, and Deputy Director of Mobility Forces. The Colonel has served on active duty and as an Air Force Reserve TR, ART, IMA and AGR. Col Moeding is a combat veteran of Operations Southern Watch, Northern Watch, Desert Strike, Joint Forge, Joint Guardian, Allied Force, Noble Eagle, Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, New Dawn, and Unified Protector with nearly 900 hours of combat flight time. In his civilian capacity, Col Moeding is a pilot with a major U.S. global airline.
1993 Bachelor of Science; Arizona State University, Tempe, Ariz.
2001 Squadron Officer School; Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2004 Master of Science; Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona, Fla.
2010 Triad Leadership Seminar; AFRC Professional Development Center, course held in Atlanta, Ga.
2011 Leadership, Today & Tomorrow Seminar; AFRC Professional Development Center, held in Washington, D.C.
2012 Air War College; Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 Safety and Accident Investigation Board President Course; Ira C. Eaker Center, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Reserve Component National Security Course; National Defense University, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2015 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education (JPME-II); Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2017 North Atlantic Treaty Organization Senior Officer Policy Course; The NATO School, Oberammergau, Germany
2017 Director of Mobility Forces Course; USAF Expeditionary School, Hurlburt Field, Ft. Walton Beach, Fla.
2017 Enterprise Leadership Seminar; Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2018 Leading Strategically Program; Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2019 North Atlantic Treaty Organization Senior Reserve Officer Course; The NATO School, Oberammergau, Germany
1. Sept 1993 - Aug 1995, Adjutant/Section Commander, 384th and 349th Air Refueling Squadrons, McConnell AFB, Kan.
2. Aug 1995 - Jan 1997, Wing Flight Scheduler, 22d Operations Support Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
3. Jan 1997 - Apr 1998, Student Pilot, 47th Flying Training Wing, Laughlin AFB, Texas
4. Apr 1998 - Apr 2000, Mission Developer, KC-135R/T Pilot, 18th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
5. Apr 2000 - July 2002, Executive Officer, KC-135R/T Aircraft Commander, 18th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
6. Aug 2002 - Apr 2005, Assistant Chief Pilot, KC-135R/T Instructor Pilot, 18th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
7. May 2005 - Sept 2006, Chief, Long Range Mission Development, 931st Operations Support Flight, McConnell AFB, Kan.
8. Oct 2006 - Aug 2008, Chief, Current Operations, 931st Operations Support Flight, McConnell AFB, Kan.
9. Sept 2008 - Dec 2009, Chief, Operations Plans, 931st Operations Support Flight, McConnell AFB, Kan.
10. Apr 2009 - Dec 2009, Director of Operations, KC-135R/T Evaluation Pilot, 931st Operations Support Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
11. Jan 2010 - July 2013; Director of Operations (ART O&T), 18th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
12. Aug 2012 - Nov 2012; Commander, 90th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, Incirlik Air Base, Republic of Turkey
13. July 2013 - Jan 2014; Deputy Commander for Operations, 931st Air Refueling Group, McConnell AFB, Kan.
14. Jan 2014 - Nov 2015; Commander, 459th Operations Group, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
15. Nov 2015 - Sep 2017; Chief of Staff and Reserve Advisor, Directorate of Strategic Plans (AF/A8X), Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans, Programs, and Requirements (AF/A5/8), HQ USAF, Pentagon, Washington, DC
16. Sep 2017 - Feb 2020; Deputy Director, Directorate of Exercises and Assessments (ECJ7) and Air Force Reserve Advisor to the Combatant Commander, U.S. European Command, Patch Barracks, Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany
17. Mar 2020 - Present; Vice Commander, 302d Airlift Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
Sep 2017 - Feb 2020; Deputy Director, Directorate of Exercises and Assessments (ECJ7), U.S. European Command, Patch Barracks, Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany, as a colonel
Rating: command pilot
Military Flight Hours: over 5,200
Aircraft Flown: T-3A, T-37B, T-1A, KC-135R/T, C-130H2/3, A-320
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Meritorious Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with 'V' device and silver and two bronze oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal with two bronze campaign stars
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with two bronze campaign stars
Iraqi Campaign Medal with bronze campaign star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Overseas Ribbon (Long Tour)
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with silver hour glass and five 'M' devices
North Atlantic Treaty Organization Medal (Kosovo)
Schützenschnur III der Bundeswehr Deutschland (Gold)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, May 1993
First Lieutenant, July 1995
Captain, April 1998
Major, May 2002
Lieutenant Colonel, October 2008
Colonel, March 2014
(Current as of Jun 2020)