Col. Jeffrey J. Armentrout is the vice commander of the 302nd Airlift Wing, Air Force Reserve Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado, where he assists the commander in the management, training, and command of approximately 1,000 Air Force reservists. The wing trains and employs the C-130 Hercules globally on medium range airlift, tactical airland and airdrop, the Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System, and aeromedical evacuation missions. His previous assignment was executive director, Air Reserve Forces Policy Committee, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Manpower and Reserve Affairs, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
Colonel Armentrout began his career upon graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1990 followed by Undergraduate Pilot Training at Reese AFB, Texas. He served on active duty as a C-5 aircraft commander at Travis AFB, California, and a C-5 instructor and examiner pilot at Dover AFB, Delaware. Colonel Armentrout transitioned to the Air Force Reserve in 2000 and is a command pilot with more than 3,500 flying hours in numerous aircraft.
1990 Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
1993 Master of Science in Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, Va.
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2007 Flying Safety Officer/Aviation Mishap Investigation, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2009 Air War College, by correspondence
2014 Reserve Component National Security Course, National War College, Washington D.C.
1. August 1990 – November 1991, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese AFB, Texas
2. December 1991 – December 1993, Air Force Institute of Technology Graduate Student, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va..
3. January 1994 – November 1994, Group Transition Officer, 457th Operation Group, Altus AFB, Okla.
4. December 1994 – March 1998, C-5 Aircraft Commander, 22ndAirlift Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
5. April 1998 – January 2000, C-5 Flight Examiner, 9th Airlift Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
6. February 2000 – September 2001, C-5 Flight Examiner, 709th Airlift Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
7. October 2001 – September 2002, C-5 Instructor Aircraft Commander, 68th Airlift Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
8. October 2002 – January 2005, Program Manager, Joint Strike Fighter Pilot-Vehicle Interface, 311th Human Systems Wing, Brooks AFB, Texas
9. February 2005 – November 2008, Chief, Wing Flight Safety, 433rd Airlift Wing, Lackland AFB, Texas
10. December 2008 – January 2011, C-5 Instructor Aircraft Commander, 68th Airlift Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
11. February 2011 – July 2013, Flight Safety Officer, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
12. August 2013 – April 2015, Commander, 709th Airlift Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
13. April 2015 – July 2017, Executive Director, Air Reserve Forces Policy Committee, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Manpower and Reserve Affairs, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
14. July 2017 – present, Vice Commander, 302nd Airlift Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,500 military and 500 hours commercial
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, T-1, C-130H, C-5A/B/C/M, B-727, MD-80
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with silver and oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal with bronze star
Humanitarian Service Medal with bronze star
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with “M” device and hourglass
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 30, 1990
First Lieutenant May 30, 1992
Captain May 30, 1994
Major April 30, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 12, 2008
Colonel March 1, 2015
(Current as of August 2017)